More Facts About Burnsville!
As we look forward to our move to Burnsville this year, enjoy these random facts about this suburb and the future community of Sovereign Grace Church!
- The Mdewakanton Dakota were the earliest settlers to come through Burnsville, following the river and various animals they hunted.
- Chief Black Dog (you may recognize Black Dog Lake and Black Dog Road named after him) set up a permanent village in 1750. Reportedly over 250 people lived in the village.
- What we now know as a location for winter sports (skiing, snow tubing, etc), Buck Hill was a gathering spot where Dakota watched deer drink from Crystal Lake. Early settlers named this spot after that activity.
- The first European settlers were Irish, Scottish and Norwegian farmers who came upriver from Saint Paul.
- Pre-World War II, Burnsville was a rural a quiet village with a population 583 people.
- Following the construction of 35W in 1960, Burnsville experienced a population boost.
- As of the 2010 census, there are now 60,306 residents in Burnsville.
More in Sow and Grow Blog
September 15, 2018This Sunday at Sovereign Grace Church: September 16, 2018
August 24, 2018This Sunday at Sovereign Grace Church: August 26, 2018
August 17, 2018This Sunday at Sovereign Grace Church: August 19, 2018